Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Update of PET Scan

Linda and I went to the doctor yesterday to find out the results of my PET/CT scan from last Friday. I'm afraid the results were not as good as we had hope for. There were five area's of concern. Let me give you the conclusion from the report:

1Multiple new subcentimeter lung nodules and increased activity within the larger left upper and lower lobe lung masses consistent with progression of metastatic disease.

2 Interval increase in activity and size of left parotid mass, consistent with progression of metastatic disease (this is the area behind my ear).

3 New left lateral segment liver lesion consistent with metastasis (this is a new spot in the liver).

4 Stable activity at the rectoanal junction, which is likely related to postsurgical changes, but residual or recurrent tumor in this region cannot be excluded.

5 Persistent activity in the right posterior 6th rib, consistent with skeletal metastasis.

As you can read there are several area's of concern from this report.

What's Next

We talked about several options and the doctor wanted to go back over my charts for the last 6 years to see if there was anything that we could try differently. He did mention a drug named Erbitux. This drug is classified as a "monoclonal antibody" and "signal transduction inhibitor" by binding to epidermal growth factor receptors. As for right now I was put back on the schedule to start up chemo next Tuesday. We will go back to 100 percent instead of the 75 percent that I had been getting. Of course all that could change after he has read through all my charts but for now that is the plan of attack.

Steve Camp wrote a song several years ago that I take a lot of comfort in, here is the chorus.
He Covers Me
Steve Camp
Chorus:
I know that some day I will be free
The weight of sin shall be released
But for now He covers me
And though the trials never end
I learn to take them as my friend
For each day He covers me

3 comments:

  1. I remember you in my prayers night and day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug,

    You are the bravest man I know, and you continue to be a hero to many - We are here for you and Linda in anyway you need us to be. We love you more than words can say.

    We continue to pray for you and Linda and the boys.

    Love Alway,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Uncle Doug and Aunt Linda.......your faith is a guiding light in my life.
    Kacey

    ReplyDelete