Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 20th - PET Scan Update

Today we met with Dr. Fiorentino, the oncologist to go over the PET scan results. The news was not what we were hoping to hear.

The PET scan showed the expected activity in the lymph node behind the left ear, but what we did not expect were other areas of activity. What do we mean by activity; a PET scan is done by injecting a radioactive glucose substance in the body. Cancer cells feed on sugar, so when there is cancer those areas light up showing activity due to the fast growing cells. The activity was found in the lymph node behind the left ear, both right and left lungs, and the lymph node in the left groin area.

The plan of attack is to have the surgery to remove the lesion on the right side of my brain. Then after a short recovery from the surgery we will attack the cancer cells in the rest of my body with a systemic chemotherapy regiment. I already have a tentative date for my first chemotherapy treatment on Tuesday, February 10th.

Tomorrow morning, on January 21st I will be having two MRI's done at St. Luke's Meridian Hospital; one on my brain and the other one on my spine in preparation for the upcoming surgery on the 27th. In the afternoon I will also be going to St. Luke's Boise to have my pre-op conducted for the surgery.

Thank you to each one of you for your prayers and support for my family and I. We are so appreciative and are continually reminded that we serve a great God and know He is in control and His plan is perfect. We are continually reminded and encouraged that our faith and hope is in the Lord Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Doug, I am deeply touched and strengthened by your own strength and love of God. I'm a survivor of cancer having lost my beloved wife to this insidious sickness. My heart and prayers are with you, Linda, and family. I pray for God's continued blessing on you and know you live with Him.

    ReplyDelete